POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 1 Aug 2013 14:08:25
Message: <51faa419$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/1/2013 7:07 AM, Shay wrote:

> "scott"  wrote in message news:51fa561a$1@news.povray.org...
>
>>> People without a market for their labor or goods can't take their
>>> "clothing money" and reallocate it to education or medicine.
>>> They have
>>> gone from almost no money to no money at all.
>
>> ???
>
> Read my last two sentences *together*.
>
> An economy is like an ecosystem.
> You might say, "if we kill off all the rabbits, the coyotes will eat the
> rats."
> But the foxes are eating the rats. I guess the foxes will eat the crickets.
> But the robins are eating the crickets ...
>
> Then you might say, "we're not killing the rabbits, we're adding more
> rabbits."
> I guess those new rabbits will eat crickets.
> But the robins are eating the crickets ...
>
> An economy, like an ecosystem, can survive a little turbulence (at least
> for a while, history indicates ruin or violent revolution are inevitable).
>
> However, too much turbulence will collapse the system. Rising
> unemployment and income disparity are indicators that this is happening
> right now.
>
> -Shay
Uh, no.. Rising unemployment and income equality is the direct result of
the wolves deciding the the rabbits where not enough, and they should be
allowed to eat "everything".

A good example of this is a recent examination of the "costs" of doing
business for McDonald's Nearly every place in the US, the minimum wage
is around $7.5 (averaged, and sort of guess at, some places it may be
$8, but the fed has it at $7.25). The actual amount, given inflation, it
should be at is like $15. Now.. The cost estimate has been that, if they
doubled the pay of every single damn person, nation wide, they would
have to increase the cost of a hamburger by like 50 cents, to compensate.

Now, that means that, if you worked there, you would be making $15 an
hour, and your burger would cost you $4.49, instead of $3.99. So.. where
the F is the problem exactly? Well, according to the people apposed to
increasing wages, "Such places run on tiny margins, and even paying $1
more would ruin them!!!!"

Uh.. bullshit! Its purely that the boards of directors, the CEOs, and
all the people they pay to lie to congress for them, want to keep all
the money, and not pay anyone anything. Oh, and... it gives them an
excuse to a) fire people, so that b) they have fewer employees, and c)
they can then pay someone else millions, to go to congress, and say,
"See! If you got rid of minimum wages, or let us start putting things
that are illegal in the burgers, we could hire back all the people we
fired!"

Nothing about the current economic problems have a damn thing to do with
the cost of labor, or the price that anything would actually "have to
be" to hire more people, or pay them more money. Its all, 100%, about
maximizing the wallets of the people at the top, then saying, "Well, I
am sure you can find a job at one of the other places that pay shit
wages, you just are not trying hard enough, obviously!"

The numbers don't lie. We could turn around everything, over night, if
they would just a) hire people, and b) actually fraking pay them for
working. They want to do neither, and they have a long, stupid, and
mathematically unfounded, list of bullshit reasons to not do it. The
biggest ones being that half the idiots in charge of companies right now
where "trained" in schools that fell for, and taught them, quite
frankly, the similarly delusional, mathematically implausible, and
purely selfish, "US libertarian free market - which fixes everything by
application of magic", economic theory of how to run businesses. Much
like modern conservatism, someone, who wasn't already an asshole, from
100 years ago, would look at the theory of how you pay people, how you
treat them, etc., in the modern economy, and go, "What they hell went
wrong here? Did everyone become a complete idiot?!"

The only answer I can, sadly, give, myself, is, "Yeah, mostly, that is
exactly what happened."